Sunday, August 31, 2008

England!

This story begins with an appealing looking conference taking place at University of Oxford. Scott was interested because it was a very high quality immunology conference, I was interested because it was in Oxford, England. So Scott applied for the conference and a grant to pay for it and-- yeah!-- he got both so off he went. And Scott can't go to England without me, so off I went too. Scott left Seattle for London on the 16th of August, and Susanna and I left for Salt Lake City a couple of days later on the 18th.


While Scott showed his fellow conference attendees his poster depicting some immunological research he's been doing for a few years (something about immune tolerance, I think) I took Susanna to her grandparents' home (thanks to my parents' recent and very convenient relocation her two sets of grandparents live only three houses apart), set up her home away from home, gave Scott's mother a document giving my parents medical power of attorney and my mom a document giving Scott's parents medical power of attorney (whoops!), told Susanna that I was going to get dad and then go on a long long trip to England, and, on the 20th of August, boarded my own plane for London.


At length, Friday the 29th of August arrived and we had to leave the beautiful land of sheep, cows, and very nice people: Scott boarded a plane to Seattle and I to Salt Lake City. And on Saturday August 30th we were all three together at last.

I want to pause here to offer thanks to our parents, they helped finance the trip and took care of Susanna while we travelled. We could not have made it happen if it weren't for them. Thank you so very very much.


Photographs and details below.

4 comments:

rudi said...

yeah! i've been excited to read about your england post. i want to hear what scott thought of your hair:)

Tyler and Emily said...

It's so fun to see all the pictures of the places we heard about. Thanks again for staying with us, it was so fun to see you!

Andrea said...

Amy--I am so glad you were able to go! What a fun chance for the two of you to see a gorgeous part of the world.

The Egg Basket said...

Sounds like such a FUN and amazing trip. Guess Scotty will have to finish up his studies at Oxford so that we can all come and visit you guys and have similar blog posts down the road. :)