Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Rest of the Cotswolds

Here are some photographs from our three days in the Cotswolds that I love but have not made it into any of the other posts. The first is of a stately manor home near Stow-on-the-wold where she stayed (more information on that to come). I found a profile of this home--Chastleton House is its name-- in a National Trust book I checked out at the library and, for some reason, became very enamored with it.

Below Chastleton you'll find a photograph of a St. Mary's Church with the lovely Yew trees. This church is in a charming little village called Painswick.

Next down the line is St. John the Baptist Church, or Cathedral of the Cotswolds, from Cirencester.

And last is the picturesque parish church and graveyard of St. Peters Church in Upper Slaughter.

The three nights were slept in the Cotswolds were passed at the fantastic home of a sweet lady named Mrs. Crave. She was very kind and cheerful and looked after us in a grandmotherly sort of way. Having quickly discovered Scott's sweet tooth she was ready with a cup of hot chocolate whenever she saw him. I have imprinted on my mind the image of Mrs. Crave framed in the doorway of her cute cottage waving good-bye to us as we left her home for good. I wish I had gotten a photograph of her. I suppose I will have to find solace in the ridiculously useless photograph I took of our bedroom window there.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Mrs. Crave sounds delightful. I wish you would have taken a picture of her too...