Friday, May 15, 2009

Quilting and Growing

Drum roll please… I’ve finished sewing the quilt squares on Susanna’s quilt!  The quilt top is IMG_6072not actually done yet (I am still going to sew on a border) but this is a major accomp-lishment (really, sewing the first two squares together was already impres-sive).  I think I might try to pick a more unified color theme on the next one, but I hope Susanna will like it just the same (she better because she’s not getting another one!).

And, wouldn’t you know it, Susanna’s Easter seeds have sprouted are growing well.  There are a couple of bare spots—they might be from the times when Susanna has watered so vigorously that she pushed the soil around with the trunk of her elephant watering can—IMG_6074but, as you can see, they look very healthy (they are actually look much better than mine). Our little garden plot isn’t doing much yet, though.  Aside from some nice growth on our seedling lettuce leaves, there is nothing new (except mysterious footprints).  I’m hopefully going to plant tomatoes today or Monday.

I’m off to a Young Women retreat for the weekend, and Susanna is very excited for some dad-time (he has been gone the past two weekends).  It’s actually a little disconcerting how happy she is about getting rid of me for the weekend.  Yesterday she she got mad at me for something (I think it was refusing to let her use more than the twenty or so squares she had already pulled off the toilet paper roll—she had only gone pee) and announced “I want you go to to your young women retreat right now!”

5 comments:

Dave and Miranda said...

Dave and I loooove the quilt. I think the color scheme is perfect. Oh, and could we see some pictures of the baby bump, please?

Token Asian Friend said...

That quilt is beautiful. The patterns are enough to unify it!

Just read the comment above...

Baby bump?

katherine said...

Amy,

I don't have your phone number or email address, so I am posting a message for you here. I am flying to Seattle tonight for work and will be there until Thursday evening. I would love to see you, Scott, and Susanna while I am there. Call me on my cell phone (617) 905-9113 or email me at kwmackey@yahoo.com and, hopefully, we will be able to find a time to meet up. I hope to see you soon!

love, Katherine

Andrea said...

Amy--Bossy little girls . . . whatever will we do with them? I have a feeling mine will accomplish all that she desires. It's such a balance between giving them independence but trying to help them understand when we are trying to "guide" them.

Love the quilt! I agree, two squares--HUGE!!

Mike A said...

Nice job on the quilt. And, on keeping a sense of humor as Susanna tests those limits. Something tells me this will be valuable experience for the years to come!