Thursday, June 03, 2010

Dr. Scott

022

Scott handed in his dissertation a few weeks ago, and last Thursday he defended it.  he did a fantastic job.  This picture of us was taken after the talk in front of the Health Sciences building.

The title of his talk was, “Tolerance induction in peripheral CD4+ T cells through RAG-dependent TCR revision” and I didn’t understand a word of it.  Well, I understood Pam’s introduction.  She said that Scott is a happy hard working guy with an extremely messy work area.  She also called attention to a cheap hostess-style chocolate cream pie he brought for provisions on a hike; “bad Scott” she labeled picture of Scott tucking into the pie.  “But, that’s about as bad as Scott gets,” she concluded.  Great introduction.

I am so proud of Scott for this tremendous accomplishment.  Way to go, hon!  I am excited to go with you wherever the road next takes us.

My parents, Scott’s parents, and three of Scott’s siblings came for Scott’s big day, and we had a great time celebrating with them.  Thank you everyone for your support on this special day and throughout our lives.

While my parents were in town we hopped up to Vancouver.  My mom lived there when she was a little girl, while her father presided over the Alaska Canada Mission (for more about LDS missions, click here).  We went to the new temple, saw the amazing aquarium, and visited the beautiful home in which my mother and her family lived way back when.

027

Above: the beautiful new Vancouver, BC temple; below Andrew at the aquarium (followed by two more of Andrew also at the aquarium)

041063059 081

This last one is the old mission home; the historical plaque on the right traces the history of this home starting with Milt Weilenmann’s purchase in the sixties (Milt is my grandpa).

11 comments:

Kate said...

how fun! and WAY TO GO SCOTT!!! can't wait to hear where you guys are headed next:)

Melanie said...

Such a fun celebration for Dr. Scott!! Loved Vancouver and love the Hales. Great great memories!!!

Miranda said...

Yay!! We love having a doctor in the family (and sure hope new said doctor and his family end up a whole lot nearer to us than they have been in...well, ever!)

Congratulations Scott for all your hard work and Amy for all your home turf support. You both are amazing and we love you!

Melissa said...

A hear felt congrats to Scott and to all of you for this tremendous accomplishment!!!

Thanks for posting the Vancouver pics... what a sweet trip to make.

Cherie said...

Dr. Scott. Sounds so sophisticated. Congratulations on such a great accomplishment. That is a terrific story about the old mission home and your grandpa.

Katrina said...

Congratulations to all of you! I can't wait to hear where your next stop will be (but I sure hope it will include a stop-over in Boise).

RNAi said...

Dr. Hale,
Congrats on your accomplishment! I am sure you did an amazing job at your defense. Where are you headed next?

Casey and Lisa said...

Congratulations Scott! And to the rest of your family, it's hard work for everyone :) It's fun to see your family growing. It makes it seem like our days in Seattle weren't that long ago...
Take care!

Momma J said...

Congratulations! I bet it feels great to be finished! I wish you the best in your next adventures in life after school.

Stacy said...

Yeah for Scott! That is great! I am so happy for the two of you - I know his success depends a lot on you to Amy! Way to go guys!

Miyo Strong @ Busath said...

Love that shot of your dad and your little man! So darling! And a HUGE CONGRATS to Scott! That is fantastic!