![]()
Yesterday I took my two monkeys out to swing and I was having a great time: it was a beautiful day, I was getting some cute smiles from Andrew, Andrew was safe because Susanna was in a separate swing out of wacking range, and Susanna was enjoying the underdogs I obediently gave her over and over again. Then Susanna hopped out of her swing announced that she was going to give Andrew a push and headed his way. The moment she was in his visual range, he fell into delighted laughter and he laughed—large belly laughs—as long as she was nearby until we had to go. It’s interesting: no matter how much Susanna beats up on him, one kind look from her and he’s all smiles. As I watched them together, joining in their infectious laughter, I couldn’t help wondering what she has done to deserve the coveted spot of Andrew’s favorite. (After all, I feed, clean, and clothe him.) Not that I’m not glad for it; I love them both dearly and would love for them to have great friends in each other. They’re affection for each other is a great example to me, a powerful reminder that we can choose to love, and a testament to the strength of family ties. Siblings are great. A small group of people who have known you since you were very little, and who grew up with you—not just around the same time but under the same roof. That’s a powerful connection. I can tell mine my sadnesses and my joys, I can sing “Alphabet Zoo” and “Kindness Begins with Me” with them, and I can babble too long on the phone. And no matter how far away they are or how long it has been since I have seen them, I can know that they will always love me and mine. Before Andrew was born I hoped that Susanna and her new sibling would have that kind of relationship, and it is wonderful to see it beginning to develop.![]()
![]()
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Here’s to Siblings
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I had to delete my previous comment because of spelling - Amy you write beautifully - having your children love each other brings so much joy! I love the pictures - that Andrew is quite a charmer with all those smiles!
Amen, Amy!
I have missed you Amy--I need to check in on you more often. You always uplift and inspire!
Post a Comment