Friday, February 15, 2008

A big purple dinosaur?

I'm not really a Barney fan (you know Barney, the big purple dinosaur), so when Susanna decided she wanted to take a Barney board book home from the library, I tossed it back into the board book bin and showed her all the superior books that I had already selected (ones by Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss and the like). But Susanna did not see the higher value that was so clear to me in the other books-- at least not enough to give up on Barney-- so after a few more fruitless attempts on my part, Barney came home with us. I couldn't even hide it away in the to-be-returned-to-the-library stack of books after we got home because, after somehow discovering what the dinosaur's name is, she started walking around the house looking for it, "ba-bi, wah-oo?" (Barney, where are you?). So I have given in and Barney is now a part of our lives. I read it to her, she reads it to us, and then she reads to her baby-doll or her shape sorter or who- (or what-) ever wants to hear about a big purple dinosaur who loves everyone (how does that song go?).

Let me also take this opportunity to apologize to the library for Susanna's tearing half of the front cover image off of the book. I will tape it back on and try to make it look as un-ruined as possible.

5 comments:

cherlyn and family said...

That is really cute.

Anonymous said...

I love Susanna! Is that a new couch?? I need to come visit...maybe spring break???

Andrea said...

"I love you, you love me, we're best friends like friends should be--with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you. Won't you say you love me too?"

I am sorry I haven't gotten back to you . . . I am sick AGAIN! In fact, maybe I never actually got better.

I am laughing at your post though--there are so many things that I just think, "_____ will never be a part of our lives or in our home" and then someone gives us that something as a gift and my child can't seem to part with it and so it goes . . .

I just hope no one ever gets our kids the shoes that light up when you walk--that would probably push me over the top!

LizzyP said...

That's so funny. Perhaps she's just exercising her innate desire to choose books. What a monkey.

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I enjoyed this post thoroughly--I don't know how they just know and love these crazy things. Alyssa has never watched Elmo but LOVES Elmo--she can find a tiny one on the back of a book, notices Elmo when walking through the video section at Sams Club, and says the blasted name ALL the time. I just don't get it?!