Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

What a wonderful time of year!  We’ve gotten out our sweaters (and Susanna her “jacket dresses”) switched on the heat, and begun to rake and sweep leaves in every spare moment.

Susanna only had school two days this week.  She was excited to stay home and we loved having her.  Scott is finally an employee of Emory University, although he has yet to do an experiment, and is keeping very busy reading and writing.

Poor Scott had to work basically the entire weekend (he carved out time for us on Thursday and the BYU-Utah football game today).  The kids and I thought of him while we played.

Friday was a cold rainy day.  Perfect for going to the zoo, right?  That’s what we did and it was fantastic.  The animals are all out and about (I suppose they are used to dealing with weather).  We  dressed warmly and the kids were enthusiastically interested and delighted with all they saw.  No one else was there; the zoo folks literally locked the entrance gates behind us as we left and I think there were five cars in the parking lot.

Today we went to the Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area.  It was clear but still cold and the trails were just as empty as the zoo.  Susanna did a fantastic job (it was her second hike without assistance) and Andrew loved pointing at the trees and saying “tee!”  He was also excited to get to wear Susanna’s hand-me-down pink bunting.

Susanna playing in our backyard:101114Su#5

Andrew and his “pet rock”:101122Drew#2That’s Susanna’s phrase for Andrew’s beloved rock.  He finds it almost every time we go outside and carries it around while he plays.  He often gets it stuck under the stairs in the background and screams for help.  He also likes to kiss it.

A tree from our backyard:101114WilliveeYard#2

Fall in our backyard (about two weeks ago):101114WilliveeYard#3

More fall in our backyard (in the form of Pumpkin Doughnuts):101117PumpkinDoughnuts#2

Medlock Bridge in the Chattahoochie River National Recreational Area (or as we locals call it, the Hooch):IMG_0432This was taken with the timer feature on the camera.  I was just about to crouch down next to Susanna and put my arm around her when this was taken.

another pic from the hooch:IMG_0442

A more successful timer photo, also from the hooch:IMG_0446

3 comments:

Lori said...

I love the pet rock! You have some amazing trees. I hope Scott enjoyed the U game.

LizzyP said...

I'm glad you're a local now. It makes me feel good to know that you're fitting right in.

P.S. I heart your timer shot. You should take more of them.

Sarah M. said...

Cute!